Important Associations for Special Education
Most modern legislation dealing with education places emphasis and concern on teaching methods that are universal in their substance and technique.
Over the years, government offices and organizations have developed beyond expectations, and continue to provide excellence in a difficult field.
Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP)
In the US, OSEP is the national government agency devoted to improving the education of disabled youth. Their mission is to provide leadership and financial assistance to states and local districts.
• Formula Grants: Is funding available to provide free public education in nonrestrictive environments.
• Discretionary Grants: Is funding made available for special education research at colleges, universities and non-profit groups.
National Center for Special Education Research (NCSER)
The NCSER was introduced through legislation in 2004 as the new center for special education research.
• As a center all its own, the NCSER is driven to provide a comprehensive research forum for ideas and teaching method development.
• The NCSER is now an easier route for special education teachers and researchers to apply for grant funding.
International Association of Special Education (IASE)
The IASE began in 1989. For over twenty years they have dedicated their resources to Special Education and have had a global impact.
• Since inception, they have fostered new international connections to bring worldwide awareness to the needs of special education.
• Through their efforts, the IASE has drastically improved communication among countries.
• Through the IASE, professional educators and researchers have exchanged fresh concepts and much needed scientific analysis.
Coordinated Campaign for Learning Disabilities (CCLD)
The CCLD as an organization combines the efforts of six exceptional associations for the advancement of special education.
• Council for Learning Disabilities
• Division of Learning Disabilities
• International Dyslexia Association
• Schwab Learning Center
• National Center for Learning Disabilities
• Learning Disabilities Association
Through their combined efforts, the CCLD is at the forefront of special education awareness, research, and parental support. They specialize in early detection and intervention.
Center for the Study of Autism (CSA)
Over the past decades, an increase in the number of children with autism has led to the development of new special education research. As one of the more famous world organizations, the CSA has raise millions of dollars each year to help fight and prevent autism.
• CSA is a grassroots organization to fund research and special education methods outside of government control.
• Allows parents and educators to contribute personal and classroom experiences.
• Through collaboration, the CSA creates the opportunity for parents and teachers to decide the most appropriate research agenda.
top of: Important Associations for Special Education